[LAD] RDF libraries, was Re: [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Fri Feb 25 21:00:27 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-25 at 21:09 +0100, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:
> On 02/25/2011 08:57 PM, David Robillard wrote:
>
> >> It's a few months ago now that I investigated LV2. IIRC, at that time I
> >> concluded that this wasn't an option because SLV2 was GPL'ed. But things are
> >> changing IIUC :)
> >
> > You never asked. I would have changed it... but I am not psychic ;)
>
> It's not always easy to discuss about religious matters, such as licenses ;)
>
> That said there is another big problem. This glib dependency, it's way too heavy
> for mobile deployment.

Glib was the most effective route of getting the job done - rewriting
the few bits that are required is not an effective use of my time right
now (it's not exposed in the API, so it's not a compatibility issue, and
there's a ton of more pressing LV2 things that need doing).

I'm not a huge fan of wheel-reinventing, and on PCs glib is about as
unoffensive a dependency as they come. On mobile, I guess that meg or so
actually makes a difference.

Replacing glib will not be very difficult, very little of it is used:
just a balanced BST, dynamic array, and ideally a hash table or trie
other appropriate structure for string interning (the BST would do for
this part, with a bit of a performance cost). Good old-fashioned data
structure implementation is my favourite thing to do, but unfortunately
there is no shortage of more pragmatic things that need doing ;)

Perhaps Stefano's NASPRO core work will do, or using C++ internally, or
just tearing the required bits out of glib itself. Sqlite has an
in-memory hash table IIRC. Code abounds.

Present a viable alternative, and I'll switch sord/slv2 to it, but I
have no good reason to invest time in reinventing glib right now.

-dr