[LAD] RDF libraries, was Re: [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

Stefano D'Angelo zanga.mail at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 09:16:59 UTC 2011

2011/2/27 Giuseppe Zompatori <siliconjoe at gmail.com>:
> 2011/2/26 Stefano D'Angelo <zanga.mail at gmail.com>:

>>> Heh :) Well, right now, I'm more wondering about what ui:AndroidUi could be.
>>>
>>> Aside, in the ui ext docs there's this example which contains ui:binary, but I
>>> can't find any reference documentation about this binary property on the page:
>>> http://lv2plug.in/ns/extensions/ui/
>>
>> Good catch, that ought to be fixed.

>>> Effects are not the top priority. I've done quite a lot of research on it
>>> because it was a good topic for my intern to work on. I have other basic
>>> features to add first. And the schedule that you mention makes sense to me.
>>
>> Hopefully it makes sense also to Dave as well, since everything else
>> that's needed is his stuff.

>>> Hmm, I've been wandering in google yesterday about such LV2-LADSPA bridge.
>>>
>>> I am discovering the NASPRO project. That's interesting. It seems like it may
>>> consume a lot of brain-time diving into all this when compared to LADSPA. But
>>> I'm nevertheless a bit worried about adding support for LADSPA, as it's getting
>>> old and somehow obsolete. But IIUC correctly you are about to add some sort of
>>> LADSPA backward compatibility, which in any case, sounds very good and was
>>> clearly missing.
>>
>> It's already there if you want, the 0.2.0 release is from the last
>> year but should still work if you use a recent svn version of SLV2.

>>> What kind of help would you need?
>>
>> There are several departments. :-)
>>
>> I've enumerated above the stuff missing from NASPRO core, then SLV2
>> should use it, and that would probably be a good part of the work
>> already.
>>
>>> Also, are you/is there anyone on the list who is interested in releasing audio
>>> plugins for Android? Feel free to write me personally if needed.
>>
>> I plan to develop a DSP language and compiler that generates LV2
>> plugins. Also in this case, a prototype is already in place (look for
>> "Permafrost" on the NASPRO website - no easy-to-read language
>> documentation yet, and both the syntax and the compiler have to be
>> redone, but I may get resources - time and moeny - to do this pretty
>> soon).
>>
>> Then, there are some plugins I more or less did (but not released
>> yet). It's guitar fx stuff, however, so I don't know how they could be
>> used in Android (ideas?).
>>

> Ciao Stefano,
>
> With a small impedance matching device connected to the mic-in of the
> phone, the way IK Multimedia's guitar amp sims work on iPhone?
>
> http://www.ikmultimedia.com/Main.html?iphone/index.php&fenderiphone

Ciao Giuseppe,

In the FAQ they say it's actually some sort of preamp... but well, I
can't provide hardware anyway.

I don't even know if I would charge for such plugins and/or release
them as closed source. Ideally, I would release them under GPL and
accept donations, but have no idea really. Actually there are a couple
of plugins I could really charge for since they are really beyond
state of the art and suitable for scientific publications (indeed,
that's why I'm developing them). They are physics-based simulators: a
fully parametric tube amp + eq + output transformer + loudspeaker +
air impedance, and a couple of diode clippers (one is
tubescreamer-like) - still some pieces are missing at the moment (new
triode model in the making, oversampling not yet in place, opamp model
not yet serious).

However, correct me if I am wrong, I don't think most Android
platforms would be suitable for live processing (latency), but only
for recording (what about quality?).

Stefano