[LAD] glib-threads and c-pointers - was Re: Devs needed for opensource virtual analog softsynth idea

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Fri Jan 7 17:19:48 UTC 2011

On 01/07/2011 03:50 PM, Harry Van Haaren wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 2:01 PM, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:
>
>> Something for a rainy afternoon:
>> http://cslibrary.stanford.edu/102/PointersAndMemory.pdf
>>

> Thanks for the pointer to that!  :-D
> Short concise very informative.. downloaded for future reference!
>
> There wouldn't happen to be something similar you know of for threads / Glib
> threading by chance?
> -Harry

Alas no, not really. Maybe someone else does.

I like the manual pages `man 3 pthread_create` and
`man pthread_mutex_init` - both do include "SEE ALSO" references as well
as example code.

As far as documentation with a bit of introduction goes: check out the
"Description" section of:
 http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/unstable/glib-Threads.html
 http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/unstable/glib-The-Main-Event-Loop.html
 http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/unstable/glib-Thread-Pools.html

There's been some glib-thread discussion on this list last July
(Subject: "Can someone add 2 features to Kluppe?" -
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2010-July/028694.html
) and I whipped up a small example demonstrating glib thread creation
and mutexes: http://rg42.org/_media/wiki/async-timer2.c
It's not annotated but may get you started.

best,
robin

--
Robin Gareus
web: http://gareus.org/                mail: robin at gareus.org
lab: http://citu.fr/                   chat: xmpp:rgareus at ik.nu

Public Key at http://pgp.mit.edu/  http://gareus.org/public.asc
Fingerprint : 7107 840B 4DC9 C948 076D 6359 7955 24F1 4F95 2B42