[LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Fri Jan 14 22:05:32 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:29:06AM +0100, Tom Szilagyi wrote:

> On 14 January 2011 09:44, Philipp Überbacher <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
> >
> > Is it really ardour-specific? Would be a pity.
> > I'm aware that there's a lack of hosts, but if it's already so bad
> > that a plugin is only supported in a single host, well, good night LV2.
>
> IR is not really Ardour specific. Its just that 1) it relies on two
> basic LV2 extensions (listed on its homepage), one for the GTK UI and
> the other for a close in-process coupling between the UI and the
> plugin via shared memory. 2) I personally don't have any interest in
> using other hosts. But if an LV2 host provides the required
> extensions, the plugin should work fine.

Given how easy it is to embded a window from app B into one of app A
I wonder why LV2 (or any plugin standard) would bother with GUI-toolkit
specific extensions at all.

I just did a simple test:

* added a few lines (< 10) of code to jaaa,
* started Ardour and opened its 'Locations' window,
* and had jaaa running within it in seconds.

And that's wihout any cooperation from Ardour. A plugin could use
whatever X11 toolkit it likes and with minimal support from the host
do the same. Apart from that it would need some cooperation to transfer
data between the dsp code and the GUI, but this can be made almost
transparent to the host.

Ciao,

--
FA