[LAD] [OT] 3ghz coax and soldering...

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Jan 19 12:54:27 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, January 19, 2011 07:25:59 am Robin Gareus did opine:

> On 01/19/2011 06:35 AM, gene heskett wrote:
[...]

> I guess Joern's Studio is only 3 or 4 rooms. It's mostly because he
> mentioned wall sockets that I suggested this.
> It can also be the wall (or ceiling-mounted) type. I think they're
> called raceways or just cable-tray.

Yup.

> >> It is currently running inside the ALICE detector @LHC.
> >
> > Yikes.  If that ever collapses, it will emp into smoke, and and all
> > electrical stuff for many meters around it.
>
> nah It will pull itself into a black hole of course :)

They tried that once, took about a year to rebuild things IIRC. :(

> > That, it can be said is NOT a
> > friendly environment.  Even your $15 Casio wrist watch is in danger if
> > you move too fast in that.
>
> The magnetic field you mean? The tricky part is get close enough. You'll
> need a few weeks to undo all the screws on the "enclosure" and not get
> kicked out in the meantime. Once you get in there you don't need to
> move, the electrons inside the watch are already moving fast enough. The
> only workaround is to have only short interconnects and lots of bulk in
> between them.  Luckily this is an OT post:
> http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/09/21/dont-cross-the
> -lhc-stream/

Interesting what drifting conversations do when brains get together.

[...]
> > Silver solder, or just silver bearing solder?
>
> likely both. It is a very well equipped lab. There was a small
> hand-torch in there as well. Though I think it was mostly used as a
> spare lighter :)

And of course its out of gas if you need to fire it up and get enough heat
out of it to do a silver joint.  There is a Murphy's Law corollary about
that I've seen someplace. ;-)

[...]

> Thank you for the lengthy explanation.

NP.  When I get started, like most old farts with a loooong history in
broadcasting, I don't know when its time to shut up. ;-)
> ciao,
> robin

Thanks Robin

--