[LAD] OpenOctaveMidi2 (OOM2) beta release

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Thu Jan 27 16:57:08 UTC 2011

On 27 January 2011 16:37, Christopher Cherrett <ccherrett at openoctave.org> wrote:
> OK, it was muse2.

Did you ever consider, for example, _not_ assigning yourselves the
copyright in the program's About box?

This is exactly what happened with Rosegarden for "OOM1" -- fork the
project, provide a new theme, new keybindings and some new features,
change all identifying names, remove our copyrights, and put up a
promotional page about it with no reference to Rosegarden.  In that
instance the credits reappeared after I objected, and I was prepared
to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Perhaps the MusE team are more relaxed about attribution than I am, or
perhaps they decided they'd prefer not to be identified with the
forked software at all.  I don't know.

(No, it is not legal to take someone else's GPL software and identify
yourself as the copyright holder.)

Chris