[LAD] Attribution for Community Approval

Tim E. Real termtech at rogers.com
Fri Jan 28 23:43:23 UTC 2011

On January 27, 2011 04:35:47 pm Christopher Cherrett wrote:
> Could the community please review the attribution so we may continue
> with our journey? This attribution appears on the website, github,
> README and anywhere else you guys need to see it.

From the GPL section 5:
a) The work must carry prominent notices stating that you modified it, and
 giving a relevant date.

I still don't see anything in the about box or the oo website mentioning this.
And as was mentioned here, you cannot claim sole copyright.

Is this what you call attribution? Erasing every last mention of muse,
 even in comments?

I received permission from Josh, the Fluidsynth and Swami author, to use
 the fluidsynth logo, on condition of attribution in AUTHORS, where I added
 his name.
But you have removed his name from AUTHORS. That is wrong.

I'm sorry but "Special Thanks to the MusE developers" in the AUTHORS
 doesn't cut it. It sounds like we simply helped with a module or something.

Browsing, you removed my name and stamp from the top of at least one file:
 README.effects-rack, and put your name there.
If I understand the GPL, you are not to remove such attributions, anywhere.
Yes Alex, *I* wrote that several hundred word essay, not *you* ,on how
 to use the effects rack. That was after I spent 2 weeks fixing the rack.

Do you know who has contributed much of the thousands of lines in
 the MusE ChangeLog over the past five years? Me.
But you wouldn't know that since you completely removed the ChangeLog.
So again, you have removed *many* attributions there, mine and many others
 who worked on MusE. I would never do that.

What is this shining piece of software you 'professionals' make?
Where can I buy a copy so I can call you up the same day, and tell you,
 quote, "it sucks", and demand changes, and you will do it the same day,
 for free? Really, I'd like to know. Please tell me what it is.

Yes, only you know how software should be. Let us all bow down and do things
 your way.

I try very hard to accommodate all requests.
But a group of developers pestering me to fix dozens
 of things within mere hours or days due to some 'urgency', is sick.
Not one single patch contributed to us. Nothing.
Why don't YOU spend five years of your lives learning the code?

Do you care that I just finished the soloing system, as you requested?
I clearly marked all changes to help you guys, even after the fork.

BTW You owe Orcan so much gratitude.
He personally converted many thousands of lines of MusE code and UIs to Qt4,
 while you guys lurked on the side waiting for us to finish.
Without him, OOM2 and MusE2 are nothing.

Tim.