[LAD] MeeGo for better handheld/tablet multimedia? (was Re: Android audio plugins)

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 09:40:22 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Niels Mayer <nielsmayer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Specifically, MeeGo on the  Nokia N9 (
> https://flors.wordpress.com/2011/06/20/nokia-n9-state-of-the-art-of-mobile-linux-and-qt/
> ). I'm sure that it will be easier to create handheld multimedia
> applications on an in-production and widely-distributed, supported
> product that supports the full stack of libs and development tools
> already in use by the LAD community....

Just to clarify, the N9, and N950(The 'developer' device that most of
the existing community really wants over the n9) isn't running Meego,
but instead is running Maemo Harmattan, which is primarily Maemo, with
the Meego development API implemented on top of it.  Could make a
difference in performance and support.

Not to mention of course that the current CEO of Nokia, Stephen Elop,
is a former MS guy that has insisted that even if the N9 is a success
Nokia won't be producing any more handsets based around Meego (Or
Maemo/Harmattan is the common understanding) and instead will be
running Windows Phone 7, to the effect of he has even 'leaked' videos
of nearly identical hardware running WP7 with the only conceivable
reason to most people is to help ensure that the Maemo/Harmattan N9 or
even Meego is not a success.  Whether the latter part of that is the
real reason or not is not certain but I haven't come up with a better
reason either at this point.

       Seablade