[LAD] Feature requests: add JackSession support

Emanuel Rumpf xbran at web.de
Sun Jul 3 18:27:40 UTC 2011

2011/7/3 Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>:

> i feel that if you spend too long reasoning about this, you will
> conclude, as I have, that JACK was actually a mistake (at least in
> terms of the basic framework in which to glue together different
> things processing data streams). the absence of a plugin API that was
> likely to be adopted by all/most developers back in 2000 is what gave
> rise to this situation. there's a limit to how far you can push the
> usability of a "DAW" built out of N independent processes, each one
> running code developed by different developers with no awareness of
> the others. the limit is, thankfully, not too primitive, but its also
> not far enough out to be able to pretend that JACK + N>1 clients is
> actually functionally equivalent to a single host + plugins, at least
> not in terms of state management.
>
> --p

I see, that treading many different apps as one large entity (with
state management etc.)
is a difficult task. (That's why other systems decided for plugins, I think.)
Unix (as operating system) doesn't  particular help there. (Neither do others.)
New technologies are coming (dbus, cloud-apps, etc.)
but it's not clear to me, which is the best approach for such demands.
I'm not dispraising JACK.
It has been a very important innovation,
that has pushed audio application development for linux tremendously,
by creating a reliable base, with a not too difficult api.
Since you are one of the main actors there,
I really have to thank you for making this progression possible !

--
E.R.