[LAD] Feature requests: add JackSession support

Devin Anderson devin at charityfinders.com
Sun Jul 3 22:38:05 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 5:32 PM, Devin Anderson <devin at charityfinders.com> wrote:

>>> what *should* have happened was a plugin API that as many developers
>>> as now use JACK would have agreed to adopt.
>>
>> I guess the easy thing to say here is that LV2 *could* be that API,
>> but I don't see the same amount of interest in LV2 that there is in
>> JACK.  Maybe I'm wrong.
>
> biting off on a given plugin API and conceding what you're writing is
> "just" a plugin, along with all the potential hassles about control of
> the plugin parameters via a GUI, MIDI, OSC, potentially losing access
> to timeline and tempo information, etc, etc ... this is enough to
> deter most people and encourage them to write JACK clients.

That makes me think about VST, and the amount of VST plugins that are
available.  The VST API *feels* cheap, and yet there are many VST
hosts out there, and applications like `synthedit` make VST plugin
creation accessible to non-developers and tinkerers as well as
developers.

I'm not sure if I fully understand the issues surrounding control of
plugin parameters in plugins vs. JACK applications.  AFAICT, any
plugin or JACK application that wants to handle changes from more than
one source will still have to deal with the complexity of merging
changes from multiple sources.  Is there something I'm missing?

AFAIK, there isn't an LV2 extension yet that solves the timeline/tempo
map problem.  I definitely find that a major deterrent in using LV2
plugins, let alone writing them.

--
Devin Anderson
devin (at) charityfinders (dot) com