[LAD] Feature requests: add JackSession support

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Mon Jul 4 20:45:26 UTC 2011

On 07/04/2011 03:23 AM, Paul Davis wrote:
> 2011/7/3 Dave Phillips<dlphillips at woh.rr.com>:
>> Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>>
>>> ... none of the audio stuff i routinely do everyday would be possible
>>> without jack.
>>
>> Amen to that.
>
> I disagree with both of you. I think what you really mean is "none of
> this would be possible without some system for interconnecting
> processing elements together in flexible, creative,possibly
> unanticipated ways that also leaves the developers of those elements
> free to do things in their own way".
>
> that much i'd agree with. but this is not a description that requires
> that the solution be at the process level.

well, like ladspa, jack has its time and place, and it has triggered an
amazing surge of activity. to me, it's the best infrastructure in the
market.
when it was conceived, there was no way to do what it does except at the
process level. and now that we know how to combine multiple gui toolkits
in a single process, it still looks very good.

and as long as jack keeps scaling over multiple cpu cores, we have
cycles in abundance - so where's the harm in some inter-process
communication overhead?

rather than lumping all audio into a single process, i'd say jack should
even strengthen the boundaries between processes, such that it doesn't
die as easily when a node in the graph goes bad, to make it even better
suited for live use than it already is.