[LAD] a *simple* ring buffer, comments pls?

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Mon Jul 11 20:47:19 UTC 2011

On Monday 11 July 2011, at 22.32.08, James Morris <jwm.art.net at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On 11 July 2011 20:19, Olivier Guilyardi <list at samalyse.com> wrote:
> > Good catch... Multi-core ARM devices are actually arriving massively.
> > With Android, there's the Motorola Atrix, the Samsung Galaxy S II, etc..
>
> What about my toaster? :-P
>
> I've ended up going back to Fons's pragmatism. If
> non-blocking/lock-free programming is so impossibly difficult,
> requiring intimate hardware knowledge of numerous different
> architectures then there's only one solution available to people like
> me, and that's to code for AMD64/Intel and use the existing ringbuffer
> implementations.

Also, if/when it's time to port, find the code and/or information you need at
the time, and test thoroughly on the actual hardware. These things can usually
be done on "anything", one way or another, more or less efficiently.

The only thing that's worse than missing support for some new platform is
"support" that doesn't actually work properly. Lots of debugging fun to be had
that way... :-)

--
//David Olofson - Consultant, Developer, Artist, Open Source Advocate

.--- Games, examples, libraries, scripting, sound, music, graphics ---.
|   http://consulting.olofson.net          http://olofsonarcade.com   |