[LAD] a *simple* ring buffer, comments pls?

Olivier Guilyardi list at samalyse.com
Tue Jul 12 20:20:48 UTC 2011

On 07/12/2011 09:45 PM, Chris Cannam wrote:

> Thinking it over and going back over some references and earlier
> threads here (e.g. much earlier ones from Olivier et al) it does seem
> that this should be enough.  This particular situation isn't so
> complicated after all.  I think the more I read earlier during this
> thread (and reading around) generally about memory ordering, the more
> I was beginning to feel as if the entire subject was a source of only
> trouble.

Quite interestingly, I have noticed that discussions about memory barriers are
often somehow endless. What happened in the past is that I saw countless
discussions about whether they are needed, whether they are not, and people
would argue a lot and passionately. So I thought, maybe there's a hidden topic
behind that. A "memory barrier"... Well, that very much reminds me of this
memory loss which happens to all of us in the childhood. It turns early years
into fuzzy memories. That is a barrier, too.

Whether such psychological barriers are needed or not, that's an interesting
question :)

--
  Olivier