[LAD] realtime kernel based on linux-3.0-rc7

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Wed Jul 20 22:36:55 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Robin Gareus's message of 2011-07-20 23:08:50 +0200:
> For all here who don't follow the kernel lists..
>
> Thomas Gleixner has announced a new version of the real-time patch:
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/7/19/309
>
> Even though most of the pro-audio-relevant preemt-rt patches are already
> mainline since 2.6.39, this is still very interesting mostly because:
>
> > What's new in 3.0-rt ?
> >
> > - No more split soft interrupt threads. We need to analyze whether
> >   this is a good decision.
> >
> > - softirq handling from the end of interrupt threads and on all
> >   thread sites where a nested local_bh disabled section ends
>
> ..and this latency plot is stunning:
> https://www.osadl.org/Latency-plot-of-system-in-rack-4-slot.qa-latencyplot-r4s6.0.html?latencies=&showno=&slider=57
>
> enjoy,
> robin

Thanks,
seems like significant changes were made in the smp department, let's
hope they work out.

The plot really does look stunning, strangly (?) not on other machines.
https://www.osadl.org/Latency-plot-of-system-in-rack-4-slot.qa-latencyplot-r4s7.0.html
https://www.osadl.org/Latency-plot-of-system-in-rack-4-slot.qa-latencyplot-r4s8.0.html

No idea what those plots tell about real world usage. It's good to get
another set of patches though.

Philipp