[LAD] Testdriven development with JACK?

Adrian Knoth adi at drcomp.erfurt.thur.de
Wed Jul 27 22:24:09 UTC 2011

Hi!

This question could have also been asked on jack-devel, but since LAD
probably has a broader audience:

I recently started hacking on a jack-driven matrix mixer (goals so far:
GUI, maybe network controls (OSC?), maybe LV2 host), and I wonder if
there are "frameworks" for test-driven development, so I can come up
with unit and acceptance tests while implementing new functionality.

Has anyone ever done test-first with jack? One could start jackd in
dummy mode with a random name, start some clients, wire inputs to
outputs and compare the generated signal to the expected result, maybe
with some fuzzy logic to allow for arbitrary delays.

OTOH, if there are existing mocking libraries for jackd, things might be
a bit more straight forward (provide an input buffer to be returned by
jack_port_get_buffer, call the process function and check the result
that's written to the output buffer).

Any pointers will be highly appreciated.

Cheers