[LAD] Fwd: Fwd: lv2 extension bugs

Gabriel Beddingfield gabrbedd at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 18:21:32 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 1:00 PM, David Robillard <d at drobilla.net> wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, I think the site should be reworked to be as
> friendly as possible, to make finding appropriate implementations as
> easy as possible, and all that, but declaring an "official SDK" or
> whatever just strikes me as silly.  You're basically asking if I think
> modularity is bad.  No, I very emphatically do not think that at all. ;)

I /personally/ agree that an "official SDK" is silly... be it LV2 or
Android or Qt or MeeGo or whatever.  I'm a developer... why would I
want to use some mickey-mouse SDK?  Give me the headers... and a
chroot... and emacs... and a beer!

However, these mickey-mouse SDK's /do/ foster adaptation of the
technology.  There's a whole generation of ADHD Devs who are looking
for some kind of gooey instant gratification.  "Oooo, an Eclipse
plug-in!  Shiny!"

...and there's the fact that LV2 really /is/
just-a-little-too-abstract for your average dev.

So, while the idea of an LV2 SDK disgusts me (personally)... Olivier
is right that it would accelerate developer acceptance.

-gabriel