[LAD] Question about LV2 UI extension

Gabriel Beddingfield gabrbedd at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 14:49:50 UTC 2011

Hi Paul,

On 07/30/2011 07:53 AM, Paul Coccoli wrote:
> I was looking at the (unfinished) example sampler plugin here:
>
> https://gitorious.org/gabrbedd/lv2-sampler-example
>
> I ran through the mental exercise of trying to figure out how to
> finish it, and I have a question about the UI extension.  How does a
> UI tell its plugin to load a sample file?  The example has a TODO in
> its run function that indicates it will react to an LV2_Event that
> contains a pathname for a file.  I don't understand how a UI will
> create this event.

First, this discussion belongs on the LV2 mailing list.  :-)  In fact,
we've been discussing it recently.  See [1]

Second, the current intention is to send an Event with a URL to load a
sample file (whether the event comes from a UI or another plugin or
whatever).  In order to accomplish this, a standard event type has to be
created.  That's what the "Atom extension"[2] -- it's like a standard
library of event types.

HOWEVER, stepping back a little bit, in you could create your own
private event type and send it over an Event port.

-gabriel

[1] http://lists.lv2plug.in
[2] There's talk of renaming it the Atom extension to something
     like "Variant" so that it's easier to understand.