[LAD] Python Gstreamer Live Video examples

Nathanael Anderson wirelessdreamer at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 22:34:53 UTC 2011

I'm just getting started with some python gstreamer coding, and Having
trouble finding what I'd consider some basic examples:

These I've already got working:

1. build a pipeline showing the attached video device like:
gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video0 !
'video/x-raw-yuv,format=(fourcc)YUY2,width=640,height=480,framerate=20/1'
! xvimagesink

2. Record and show video at the same time:
gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video0 !
'video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480,framerate=20/1' ! tee name=t_vid
! queue ! xvimagesink sync=false t_vid. ! queue ! videorate !
'video/x-raw-yuv,framerate=20/1' ! theoraenc ! queue ! oggmux !
filesink location=test.ogg

I want to get working:

3. toggle recording, so I can show a video monitor, and without
destroying and recreating the pipeline start or stop video recording
at will.

4. Sync multiple pipelines, my end goal is to be able to record x
video streams in sync, while playing back y videos with all play and
record sources in sync (think video mixing).

I'm looking for examples of 3 and 4, and improvement ideas to 1 and 2.

Thanks,

Nathanael