[LAD] Any package builders here?

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Wed Jun 1 12:40:20 UTC 2011

On 06/01/2011 11:50 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi :)
>
> could you please add a dependency to audio/MIDI app packages for your
> distros, that will set up real-time usage?

[..incorrect code snippet..]

On Debian, both jack1 and jack2 packages do already include that.

----/etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf----
# Provided by the jackd package.
#
# Changes to this file will be preserved.
#
# If you want to enable/disable realtime permissions, run
#
#    dpkg-reconfigure -p high jackd

@audio   -  rtprio     95
@audio   -  memlock    unlimited
#@audio   -  nice      -19
-------------------8<---------------------

Maybe it's time to notify the debian-mm-team to remove the 'nice' line
instead of commenting it out.  OTOH it shows that they are aware that
it's not strictly needed but may come in handy.

> I can't see any reason not do add such a dependency. Or is there a
> good reason not to do?

I suppose it's simply pragmatic.
Pulling this config out into a dedicated package might be a good idea.
However I don't think there's any real-world use-case:

How many audio apps support 'rtprio' directly (without JACK)?  ..and how
many pro-audio users do use this software but do not have JACK
installed. I bet the number is zero.

robin