[LAD] Any package builders here?

Dominique Michel dominique.michel at vtxnet.ch
Wed Jun 1 16:16:58 UTC 2011

Le Wed, 1 Jun 2011 13:49:06 +0200,
Nick Copeland <nickycopeland at hotmail.com> a écrit :

> I might get flamed for this however GUI should not really be run with
> rt priority, that is an honour for the DSP engines. There are some
> reasonable arguments however for leaning on the scheduler with renice
> for the user interfaces to give them a bit of a bias over other
> system operations. Admittedly a big topic since the GUI probably sits
> on top of the windowing system anyway.
>
> So I have not used renice on graphics/GUI processes but I have worked
> on systems where the RT DSP code is happily chewing up 75% of CPU to
> churn out 32 unified synth voices and the GUI response can then give
> a bad impression of an application. Renice will help the sometime
> intensive graphics manipulation code (which is surprisingly close to
> DSP anyway if you are doing subpixel image transforms with shadow
> rendering) to get a little more of the now starved system resources.

I think than the wm in use can maybe have an impact on the graphical
responsiveness. When running a single mono processor, I get up with
jack at more than 95% CPU, this with gentoo running a rt kernel, fvwm
and the fvwm-crystal theme. Sometime, the graphical response was a
little bit slow. A few times, the wm was frozen during one or 2
seconds, even the cursor. But the audio process in JACK was just fine
and without any xrun. I was very surprised, this was amazing, like in
window$, but without the crash -:)

I cannot imagine to do the same with kde or another wm, in fact I don't
know if it can be possible.

Now, on a multi-processor, I never experimented such a slow down of
fvwm, but I didn't use jack with such a high load than before.

Dominique
--
"We have the heroes we deserve."