[LAD] Android audio plugins

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabrbedd at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 16:19:27 UTC 2011

Hi Olivier,

Good stuff!

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:

> I just started a thread on andraudio about "Android audio plugins and advanced
> app interaction", including LV2 and others:
>
> http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/andraudio/2011-June/000238.html
>
> Feel free to join in.

Here's a potential problem (but I could be misguided...
so you guys tell me)...

   - Mobile processors generally do NOT have good
     floating point power.  Sometimes by a factor
     of 1000 flops.

   - LADSPA and LV2 are built to process 32-bit
     floating point PCM data, and have no provision
     for processing 16-bit integer PCM data.

So, trying to use LADSPA or LV2 in their current state will
probably cause bottlenecks (either from doing FP math or
from doing format convervsions to do integer math).

Is this a Real Problem?

-gabriel