[LAD] Jack Session Manager: feature request

rosea grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 21:47:27 UTC 2011

Hi,

It is very promising that devs like Torben, Paul Davis, Rui and David
Robillard (to name a few), are 'backing up' Jack Session and that the
Jack Session API is in the Jack API. This will give the community a very
good chance that many apps will get JackSession support soon (or later).

However, it's still reasonable to expect that not all LAD applications
are going to be patched with JackSession support.
In other words, there are and will be apps which might be useful (for
one or more of us) to use in a session but which won't have JackSession
(JS) support. From a users perspective, it would be very useful to be
able to use that application (without JS support) in a session in some
way nevertheless.

At the moment one Session Manager (SM), Pyjacksm (Qjackctl will follow
soon, and also Patchage I expect) makes this possible by manually adding
'infra clients' to a configuration file, .pyjacksmrc. See example below.
Infra clients are designed for applications without a state, like a2j.
But it is also possible to use apps without JS support as infra client.

Amsynth is an application without JS support and in this way I am able
to load amsynth, with project A. The SM makes sure that Amsynth is
started and that the Jack connections are restored (that's the only
thing the SM can do for you for apps without JS support). But I don't
want to use Amsynth with Project A always (Session 1). I might be
working on a totally different project and want to make a session for
that also (Session 2). This time I want to load amsynth as: amsynth -b
/home/user/projectB.amSynth.presets (I don't use Session 1 and 2
together in this example).

To be able to load Session 2, I have to edit my .pyjacksmrc file or make
symlinks.

*Feature request*: It would be nice if the SM could provide me a way to
load a different configuration file.

For example: JackSessionManagerX --load configurationfileSession2

Thanks in advance,

\r

.pyjacksmrc:

[DEFAULT]
sessiondir = ~/linuxaudio/JackSession
[infra]
a2j = a2jmidid -e
amsynth = amsynth -b /home/user/projectA.amSynth.presets