[LAD] Looping audio to oneself via Jack

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Thu May 5 09:07:40 UTC 2011

On 05/05/2011 09:08 AM, Ralf wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 08:40 +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>>
>> a) only audio track clips are mixed-down to an audio file; audio
>> fx plugins and inserts are indeed processed as in
>> faster-than-realtime mode (aka freewheel mode).
>>
>> b) midi tracks get merged-down into a single midi file. obviously,
>> midi instrument plugins are not processed as their output is audio
>> signal and not midi.
>>
>> cheers
>
> As a musician who started with the Comodore 64 MIDI sequencer +
> click sync to an analog audio recorder and Atari ST MIDI sequencer +
> SMPTE sync to an analog audio recorder, I'm accustomed to traditional
> analog recording and mastering. Ok, I could take care about the track
> order for Qtractor. What exactly is the track order? Is the last
> track, the track I added at last to a Qtractor session or is it the
> last track for the track view?

well, it's not quite track order i was referring to, sorry my mistake,
but it's in/out bus order instead (as seen on the View/Buses...)

alas, bouncing from the same duplex bus will be no good eg. master/out
-> master/in--you'll have to come out with additional dedicated input
buses for bouncing from master as this is always the first bus in the
processing order. even so, to avoid the single port connection
"zero-copy"-effect, you'll have to connect something else on each of the
same inputs ports.

anyways, don't trust on any of this. direct loopback recording is not
recommended still ;) an all-pass-thru jack client, inserted between outs
and ins, is a straight-forward solution; a stand-alone bypassed eq
client would do. care that this all adds one extra latency cycle to be
compensated on record.

> And if I use additionally other applications too, does Ardour2 or
> Rosegarden or ... handle it the same way as Qtractor does?

dunno, it all depends on the processing order--as Fons explained--
whether it zero/writes the output port buffers before reading the inputs
ones.

cheers
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela