[LAD] What sound cards are recommender by developers? I'll order next week!!!

Ralf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat May 21 12:37:25 UTC 2011

Pardon that I ask this on the developers list, but it seems to be the
best place regarding to the information about hardware, that is or isn't
well supported for or by Linux.

I'm flirting with the idea of buying a RME PCI card or firewire device
or if recommended a card from another vendor. The device should have
around 4 analog IOs, for MIDI I could keep one of my Envy24 cards, as
long as a new device only needs one PCI slot. I guess PCI is less
problematic than firewire?

I'll order next week.

It's important that the analog IOs and converters etc. keep the sound
without audible loss, similar to consumer equipment, that is not the
most worse. Professional sound quality isn't needed, but my TerraTec EWX
24/96 or similar Envy24 cards and all those onboard devices I ever
heard, don't reach good consumer quality, they produce marked loss for
the sound quality.

I could spend 800,- EUR or less ;).

Any recommendations for sound cards?

I already got some recommendations and until now this one seems to be
the most confidence inspiring device ... just a feeling ;):
http://www.thomann.de/gb/rme_digi_9632_hdsp_pcikarte.htm

OTOH, I'm doubtful, regarding to the costs. I thought that new devices
are more expensive.

Somebody else recommended this one:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_saffire_pro_40.htm

I can't ask friend, because they won't care about compatibility to
Linux :(, I guess that e.g. Motu isn't (well) supported.

Before I order a sound device, I'll ask if I could test it, when
ordering at Thomann or a similar dealer. The problem is that I have to
order, because AFAIK there are no good music stores near to my hometown
Oberhausen/Rheinland, that are easily reachable by public transit,
dunno, perhaps Kurt Spiecker + Dirk Pulch are still ok.

Best,

Ralf