[LAD] What sound cards are recommender by developers? I'll order next week!!!

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun May 22 12:32:05 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 4:20 AM, Ralf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> If you read several audio user lists you'll see that's not only me,
> having this issue ;), but every Envy24 card user, while RME card users
> write similar to this:

They didn't use PulseAudio with their RME cards.

> Regarding to sound quality issues RME cards also get better gradings
> than TerraTec, M-Audio and other cards that cost between 80,- and 400,-
> EUR.

If you have an all-digital card word-clocked synced to your converters
(or an external clock source) there will be ZERO difference in the
audio quality delivered by switching to another similar card. To claim
anything else is more or less equivalent to the people who claim that
using certain hard drives improves the playback quality of their
computer-stored music.

obviously, there are some "ifs" in that statement that leave some room
for variation. the headphone out of my RME digiface, for example, is
definitely better quality than the Intel HDA on my motherboard, but
that's because its an analog signal path. the RME's also have a better
internal sample clock than the M-Audio's, so if you use that clock,
there is some potential for small improvements in quality. but the
basic statement remains true, and is very important.

--p