[LAD] RME FIREFACE 400? RME MULTIFACE II?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun May 22 17:30:58 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-05-22 at 22:54 +0930, Jonathan Woithe wrote:
> [ Disclaimer: I am working on the ffado FF400 driver ]

Thank you for the information Jonathan.

On Sun, 2011-05-22 at 08:40 -0400, Karl Giesing wrote:
> > I'm not interested in this one, but the price-performance ratio is
> > amazing:
> >
> > BEHRINGER XENYX X2442 USB
> > http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_xenyx_x2442_usb.htm
>
> Going only slightly off-topic:
> One thing to consider is that, AFAIK, all of the Behringer mixers with USB output only do two channels.

AFAIK you're right.

> That is, the USB only streams the stereo bus. None are multi-channel.
> At least, that's how it was when I last looked into it (I was tempted to get one of the smaller ones myself).
> Mackie is SLIGHTLY better than Behringer, but Behringer is actually catching up.

I never rued that I bought the Behringer UB2442FX-PRO for IIRC less than 300,- EUR with a 3 year warranty, but anyway this mixer has limits compared with more expensive home recording mixers and I just bought it, because I couldn't spend more money.

> Regardless, the small amount of extra quality doesn't justify the larger price, IMHO.

I didn't compare Mackie and Behringer directly, at least the knobs of the Mackie are better to handle, because there is more space. You can clean a Mackie very easy, hard to do for the Behringer, OTOH the Behringer has got more channels at the same size.
The Behringer is much cheaper, if it's broken you can buy another one ;).
How important is reliability and ease of use?

> If this kind of setup is what you're looking for, I'd go with an Allen & Heath ZED-14 instead. You'll lose a few channels for the same price, but the quality is far better.

No I wish to buy a sound card and at another time in the far future, I wish to buy a new mixer, but I will separated devices not both in one.
Btw. I'm sure that Allen & Heath mixers have a very good quality, but you not only loose a few channels, you also loose subgroups.

Ralf