[LAD] What sound cards are recommender by developers? I'll order next week!!!

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Tue May 24 10:07:27 UTC 2011

On 05/24/2011 11:17 AM, Arnold Krille wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 May 2011 10:59:37 Albert Graef wrote:
>> On 05/24/2011 09:34 AM, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
>>> That was a Focusrite Saffire Pro 10 IO FireWire device.
>>
>> That one looks nice. Unfortunately, it seems that it's discontinued, and
>> models 24 and 40 are still marked as experimental (need ffado from svn)
>> on the ffado website.
>
> Yes, its experimental. Yes, people are successfully using them in
> productions...
> The fact that its marked as "experimental" is because no stable release
> supports the dice-devices. And we didn't yet have the time to create a 2.1
> release...
>
> Have fun,
>
> Arnold

I'm using the 40 at home, works very well. At work we use a 24, also
with Linux and that works great too. I recently did a presentation for
Horus (http://horus.hku.nl/) for which I used the 24, no problems
whatsoever, except for the minor bug that JACK will crash the first time
you run it (known issue).
DICE based devices won't work with a number of FireWire controllers
though, like the onboard JMicron chipset of my notebook. So I bought a
cheap PCIe Express Card with a Via chipset and that works quite well.
You can check which controllers are compatible here:
https://dev.tctechnologies.tc/tcat/tags/release/public/latest/docs/drv/DICE_OHCI_Blacklist.pdf

Best,

Jeremy