[LAD] Communicating between python UI and C++ engine for real time audio?

Harry van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 20:02:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>wrote:

> no, using a protocol like OSC doesn't solve the basic problem: making
> changes to data structures used by the RT code when those changes
> can't be done with RT constraints

Yes, sorry must not have made myself clear :)

Currently using the jack ringbuffer as a RT queue. Thought of a nice
abstraction of the "one way only" problem too:
Just wrap two ringbuffers into a single class, and then have two set / get
functions.

Basically one "RtQueue" instance can pass messages back and forth between
two threads lock free.
I'd like to improve it so that one get / set method is there, and its
thread-aware so it will automatically push / pull to the right ringbuffer.
But that's a touch hard for me as I'm using GLib threads and finding which
thread is running is something i can't do yet :D

-Harry