[LAD] timing the processing of queues between engine and ui threads?

Iain Duncan iainduncanlists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 23:29:53 UTC 2011

Further to the conversation about Python to C++ ( with many helpful

For my particular case, no drop outs is critical, and I really really want
to be able to run multiple UIs on lots of cheap machines talking to the
same engine over something (osc I expect). So I'm ok with the fact that
user input and requests for user interface updates may lag, as the queue is
likely to be really busy sometimes. I'm imagining:

Engine thread, which owns all the data actually getting played ( sequences,
wave tables, mixer/synth/effect controls, the works )
- gets called once per sample by audio subsystem ( rtaudio at the moment )
- does it's audio processing, sends out audio
- loop by Magical Mystery Number 1:
   - get message off input queue describing change to a data point (
sequence or sample data )
   - updates data point
- loop by mystery number 2:
  - get message off 2nd UI queue requesting the state of a data point
  - sends back a message with that data to the requester
done

GUI thread
- keeps it's own copy of whatever data is pertinent to that particular gui
at that point
- sends a bunch of requests if user changes the view
- sends messages data change requests according to user actions

Here's my question, how do I determine the magical mystery numbers? I need
to make sure engine callback is always done in time, no matter how many
messages are in the queue, which could be very high if someone is dropping
in a sample of audio. By making the data point messages very simple, I hope
that I'll have a pretty good idea of how long one takes to process. It's
just a lock-get-write to simple data structure. But how much audio
processing has happened before that point will be variable. Anyone have
suggestions on that? Is the system clock accurate enough to check the time
and see how much a sample period is left and make some safe calculation
with headroom left over there? It is totally ok for the queue and the
inputs to lag if the audio number crunching goes through a spike.

suggestions  most welcome. (including 'that design sucks and here's why')

thanks
iain