[LAD] RAUL?

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Wed Nov 16 11:42:07 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 02:28:53PM +0300, Louigi Verona wrote:

> I agree with the fact that your code took lots of time, effort and knowledge
> to write. I would however question the obligation of other people to pay you
> unless before making your work available to them you have made a contract
> with them, in which case this is just work for hire.

Go to whatever shop. Everything displayed there is 'available'
and was made before any particular customer asked for it. That
doesn't mean you are allowd to take it away for free, not even
if you could do that very easily.

> If, I argue, you have made your work public, then nobody made a contract
> with
> you. Simply speaking, nobody asked you to do the work you did. But once it
> is
> available publicly, I do not see on what grounds you can demand payment.

It is available publicly *under some conditions* which are expressed
by the GPL in this case.

Ciao,

--
FA

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.