[LAD] jack transport change accuracy for looping

Iain Duncan iainduncanlists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 17:11:50 UTC 2011

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 5:10 AM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 10:34 PM, Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Also, is that proposal a dead duck now?
>
> No, its not a dead duck. But there is little to no manpower around to
> do an initial implementation so that it can be evaluated beyond paper.
>
> >Seems to me like if it worked, it
> > would be a pretty killer feature given the popularity of the Ableton Live
> > style of working these days.
>
> If you think that JACK transport looping has anything to do with the
> Live workflow, then sad to say but you either don't get jack transport
> or Live or both :)
>
> Many people look at Live and do not realize the sophistication of what
> they are doing. It has very little to do with the ability to set a
> global loop.

I probably was not clear enough, in my attempts at brevity. In my csound
app, and to the best of my knowledge with live, you have more than one
layer of looping go at once. In my case, I had a global master loop ( that
acted somewhat like x0x song mode ) and channels that independent loops
able to change loop lenght, phasor speed, and offset on the fly. The global
loop was useful for doing things like saying, 'on to the next song'.

This is what I was imagining as the use case for jack transport looping.
All the independent looping might run simultaneously while jack sat there
thinking it was playing the first 32 bars of a piece, allowing one to use
ardour or other apps to play one shot tracks of that length using whatever
they have going.

So, yeah, I'm aware that at the least I'm going to need phasor calculations
for the individual tracks, but was wondering whether I could use some of
what was already there in jack transport for the master song-mode sequencer.

thanks
iain