[LAD] "bleeding edge html5" has interesting Audio APIs

Neil C Smith neil at neilcsmith.net
Sun Nov 20 18:26:18 UTC 2011

On 20 November 2011 13:58, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Neil C Smith <neil at neilcsmith.net> wrote:
>> Well, as a Java dev I felt the need to interject! :-)
>>
>> iPhone is still a problem, but desktop is easy - just ship with an embedded
>> JVM in the same way you embed webkit.
>
> and therein lies the difference to:
>
>   "visit http://your.domain.whatever/myCoolWebApp"  <= ... and it runs!
>
> no install, no visible download. not huge, but as the browser gets to
> be a more and more capable platform, probably significant.

I was responding more in the context of people earlier talking about
embedding webkit for GUI's, not in the context of web / browser apps.
Shipping an embedded JVM could mean that an application using Java
could be shipped, cross-platform in the same way as any other native,
installed software.  And I personally don't see installed software
going anywhere any time soon, particularly given the rising prevalence
of the app store model.

Browser platforms are definitely starting to get more capable, but
doesn't a lot of the API mentioned at the beginning of this thread
rely on native code underneath.  I'm a little wary of this building
block approach, though at least it is extensible - quite how much
audio code would you want to write in JavaScript, and how much could
you actually achieve in real-time?

At the moment it would be possible to write the entire audio
architecture and extensions in Java - one cross-platform code base
running at near-native speed and low latency.  I've no doubt
JavaScript will get there, and I think it will be very interesting
when it does.

Mind you, I'm also slightly wary of this obsession with turning the
browser into another OS - maybe I'm turning into an old fuddy-duddy!
:-)

Best wishes, Neil
--
Neil C Smith