[LAD] "bleeding edge html5" has interesting Audio APIs

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Mon Nov 21 10:26:40 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 02:40:11AM +0100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Stability of a functioning build environment does have it's merits.

Sure. But I don't see it happen - ever. Because it essentially
means to stop innovation. Building 'the perfect world' once and
for all has been a dream during all of human history and has
always failed.

Some considerations:

* Why is the dream of having a stable and universally available
browser/JS environment any more realistic than the failed Java
one ? What makes you (I don't mean PS personally) so sure it
won't fail in the same way ?

* As long as the economic system is based on competition people
will try and get an advantage by being different and using
proprietary extensions. This game is not going to be played
just by competing on manufacturing costs of pods and pads.
'Collaborative innovation' is IMHO just another dream.

* The web has evolved into a giant advertising machine and, as
we know it, depends for its existence on the money made in this
way. The means of delivery of these ads and for obtaining the
required information for it to be targeted, is the browser.
This makes the browser, and any services it may provide to act
as an application environment, almost by definition something
that will always be designed to control and monitor the user,
in other words, something that basically works against the
user's interests. I wouldn't call that the ideal application
environment.

* If these sorts of dreams come true, or if we really believe
in them, there is no point in developing Linux any more. Just
forget about it, buy the latest toys, and be happy.

* Given the previous, maybe we should start a new mailing list,
'browser-audio-dev' or something similar. The subject is OT on
this one.

Ciao,

--
FA

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.