[LAD] "bleeding edge html5" has interesting Audio APIs

Nick Copeland nickycopeland at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 21 21:14:46 UTC 2011

> Subject: RE: [LAD] "bleeding edge html5" has interesting Audio APIs

> From: d at drobilla.net
> As for UIs, there is precisely one "platform" available by default on
> almost all devices: the browser.  Period.
>
> How much a bunch of Unix curmudgeons or Java fans dislike that fact
> doesn't change it, any more than me disliking blue changes the colour of
> the sky.

I think I missed the point so this response might also miss the mark. This has
nothing to do with blue skies. Green grass is also everywhere but not being a
cow means I will probably get serious gut ache if I eat it.

Liking/disliking Java or browsers does not really bear on their applicability to any
given problem. Does one size now fit simply because everybody has some kind of
browser? Availability has nothing to do with applicability to a solution.

> Plus, the same UI works on any PC, iOS, blackberry, etc.

That is also a bit of a longshot. Web content is as volatile as any programing
language, now its java applets, javascript, or html4, or html5, or flash. Hoping
that it works in your browser is just pushing a lot of effort back onto the
developer. This mish-mash of languages just about seems to work for the
web because the websites want to get exposure to everybody so it is totally in
their interest to work in all the different browser configurations (including text
based ones for example). It might not work so well for applications that are not
after universal exposure or that want to be used for what they  are - applications
and not web pages.

What I am trying to say is that just because every system has a hammer does
not mean you have to support nails. Screws will still always have a use but
people may just have to get a driver from somewhere to use them.

Nick.