[LAD] "bleeding edge html5" has interesting Audio APIs

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 11:33:16 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 3:33 AM, David Robillard wrote:

>> > Ah, is that all we need? I never realised it was so simple. Can I have them
>> > in some dull, boring grey colour with sad square boxes? You know, something
>> > that really inspires and that will convince every iPad user that their ubercool
>> > GUI are a total waste of time. Can you do that for me? That would be a killer!
>>
>> Even almost every GUI toolkit sliders fails when used for
>> anything serious in audio. Try tuning your oscillators in
>> e.g. AMS when the auto-resizing frequency slider happens to
>> have 27.142857 steps per octave.
>
> For stuff like this you need a way to enter precise values with a
> corresponding text box anyway.
>
> Though the old fan slider idea was a pretty good one...

Every time a developer uses a text entry widget next to a slider for
entering precise value, god kills a kitten. Which means that half of
linux audio developers are in charge for the kitten genocide :)

For darktable we examined the slider from phat and created a similar
new, more usable widget which combines a label and a slider. You can
enter precise value after a right click inside the slider area, and
you can use pretty much anything as displayed unit: %, ", dB, px...
whatever. Here is an example:

http://i.imgur.com/KvwjS.png

The highlighted "-0.500" is where I right-clicked to enter precise value.

The code is here:

http://darktable.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=darktable/darktable;a=tree;f=src/dtgtk

I also managed to sell the concept to fellow Kdenlive developers, so
there is now a similar widget for Qt/KDE with few differences:

- it uses a compact area for value input next to the slider
- the right-click menu has a command for resetting value

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org