[LAD] "bleeding edge html5" has interesting Audio APIs

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Tue Nov 22 14:54:30 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 05:59:40PM +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
> >> For darktable we examined the slider from phat and created a similar
> >> new, more usable widget which combines a label and a slider. You can
> >> enter precise value after a right click inside the slider area, and
> >> you can use pretty much anything as displayed unit: %, ", dB, px...
> >> whatever. Here is an example:
> >
> > Not a real solution. You now have a value that is not represented
> > by a slider position.
>
> Er... WHAT???
>
> It absolutely IS represented.
>
> 1. Right click
> 2. Enter new value
> 3. Press Enter to confirm
> 4. Slider updates

That is assuming that the slider has infinite resolution.

In 4. the slider will move to the nearest (pixel) position.
You could paint it with higher resolution, but mouse gestures
are still quantised per pixel. If you move the slider 1 pixel
up and down again you don't get the value that was typed in,
unless it happens to be one corressponding to a pixel.

The only solution is to ensure that slider positions correspond
to values that make sense for the parameter being controlled,
e.g. exact semitones (or fractions thereof) for a VCO frequency,
1/5 dB steps for the top half of a fader, etc. And if they do
then you don't need the text input.

Ciao,

--
FA

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.