[LAD] "bleeding edge html5" has interesting Audio APIs

Egor Sanin egor.sanin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 18:25:51 UTC 2011

> Which toolkit is this?
See above:

> The code is here:
> http://darktable.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=darktable/darktable;a=tree;f=src/
> dtgtk

> Having the graphical position of the slider/pot
> define its value sounds a little broken.
I may be missing something here.  The purpose of a slider is to set a
value.  The position of the slider is a graphical representation of
that value.

>> indeed, this is a separate issue: essentially ensuring that there is a
>> precise mapping of pixels to integral values of desired units (and
>> back), rather than (as typically happens) pixels to some fractional
>> value of desired units. e.g. I don't want to be able to tune to
>> +2.8291 semitones, only to +1, +2, +3 and so on.
>
> Maybe you want fractions, but the integer values should be
> available exactly.
>
> In many cases it doesn't matter very much. But even for e.g. a
> gain fader I'd expect it top have a position that is *exactly*
> 0dB, and more in general I'd expect any tick marks to be exact,
> at least in the -20dB..max range.
We are getting into the realm of specific use-cases.  I don't believe
it is possible to write one perfect UI element to handle the setting
for gain, frequency, scale position, and all the other things that
have values relevant to making music.
The slider discussed originally, with a graphical element and the
ability to define specific numerical values via keyboard has a lot of
merit and is useful in many situations.  The fact that it has
limitations is quite normal, and is true for just about everything I
can think of.

On a related note, the probability that a potentiometer can be set to
exactly the same resistance twice is close to zero.  This does not
make potentiometers less prevalent in musical applications.

P.S.
This may have been a double-post, sorry.