[LAD] sliders/fans

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Thu Nov 24 18:23:25 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 15:41 +0100, hermann wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 22.11.2011, 09:25 -0500 schrieb Paul Davis:
> > On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 7:05 AM, James Morris <james at jwm-art.net> wrote:

> > > That looks interesting. I take it you removed the fan drawing code?
> > >
> > > What about imprecise but fine grained adjustments?
> > >
> > > If not, would adding a modifier such as [shift] for finer grained
> > > movement of the slider be considered? It probably would be unimportant
> > > for darktable, but in an audio application where adjustmented has
> > > immediate affect on the audio stream it would certainly be useful.
> >
> > just fyi, ardour's plugin parameter controllers do all of this and
> > have done so for years. the only difference is that you double click
> > to enter a numeric value, since right clicks are exclusively reserved
> > for context menus.
>
> guitarix controllers (libgxw/libgxwmm/pygxw/glade-gxw) do all of that
> also, just they use control shift as modifier for fine tune but right
> click for enter a numeric value.

Just a thought, but perhaps an effort at a LAD HIG (Human Interface
Guidelines) might be a good idea, so things like this aren't arbitrarily
different between apps and plugins?

Naturally the scope of such a thing would be limited since different
programs have different needs, but at least things like twiddling
parameters could easily be standardized.

-dr