[LAD] sliders/fans (again)

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Thu Nov 24 23:42:02 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 03:12:12PM -0800, Jeff Koftinoff wrote:

> On 2011-11-24, at 12:45 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
> > Not always. Consider the case of 'VCA' groups for faders. That
> > is: you have a slider that controls the gain of a group of
> > channels (without those being mixed). The effective channel
> > gain (in dB) is the sum of the per channel fader value and
> > the one from the group fader. The model sees only this sum.
>
> This is the mistake. In Model View Controller, your VCA group
> fader would have an associated value in the model.  The view edits
> this. The controller calculates the resultant effective channel gains.

More generally, the model shouldn't make assumptions about the
view. In this case, the fact that the fader 'ends' at -100 dB,
and that consequently this value should be taken to mean 'off',
is an implementation detail of the view. The model should allow
gains below -100 dB (up to some reasonable value).

Anyway, for me it's time to go to sleep. And seeing your TZ
and knowing the date I suspect a turkey is waiting for you :-)

Ciao,

--
FA

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.