[LAD] Kontakt Spikes

Michael Ost most at museresearch.com
Mon Oct 10 19:38:51 UTC 2011

 > On 10/07/2011 07:46 PM, Devin Anderson wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Michael Ost<most at museresearch.com>  wrote:
>>
>> We are seeing unexpected interruptions of SCHED_RR audio processing threads,
<snip>

> <bitching>
<snip>

Wow, a painful response. It's taken me all weekend to figure out how to
reply. :(

First, I think you are misusing this mailing list, which is a technical
forum on the art of linux audio programming, for a product issue. Flame
replies like this throw cold water on a mailing list. That will stifle
development and progress of Linux as an audio platform, which I am sure
is not what you intend to do.

Second, as an engineer I fought within the company to support an upgrade
path. But we couldn't figure out a way to provide a downloadable upgrade
that we could afford to develop and support.

The upgrade was basically from Redhat 8 to Fedora 8. Not even the fedora
project, with all its resources, offers an update with that kind of
span. And even if we were able to devise a solution, an upgrade presents
other problems in terms of support, and given that most of our installed
base is non-Linux savvy and non-technical --- we thought it would be a
nightmare either way.

We also did a fair number of experiments upgrading the old hardware to
the new OS, and we found that the performance was simply not very good,
hence our CEO decided not to offer a software upgrade path, and instead
offered a very inexpensive hardware upgrade path to get our customers
into the faster and newer hardware with the newer OS as well. So we did
try to supply a solution, and if you would like to try it for yourself,
I can probably get you a hard drive with the new software and I think
you'll find that newer, more demanding plugins, which are enabled by the
newer OS upgrade, perform really poorly on the old hardware.

I am personally sorry that you were misled and left in the cold, but the
CEO did post a letter on KVR offering low cost upgrades to anyone who
was interested.

I could speak with you offline about getting a disk from us and what is
needed to do an upgrade, if you are still interested and ready to do
some linux system tweaks. But I'm not going to continue this discussion
any further on linux-audio-developers.

- Michael Ost