[LAD] LV2 CV Port extension (WAS: AMS to Ingen: VC to PCM)

Stefano D'Angelo zanga.mail at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 10:22:16 UTC 2011

2011/9/26 David Robillard <d at drobilla.net>:
> Here is a quick extension for "CV Ports", i.e. audio ports with control
> semantics:
>
> http://lv2plug.in/ns/ext/cv-port/

Argh.... sorry for not having followed the discussion when it took
place, but I have to say I really dislike this extension.

The problem is that it can easily go against the "graceful degrading
configuration" concept of LV2. E.g., suppose writing a varispeed
plugin that takes the amount of delay as a control input - you will
end up writing two versions, one using CV ports and another using
normal control ports, if you want to support both kinds of hosts.

IMO it could be better done like this: cv:CVPort to be a subclass of
lv2:ControlPort and a feature URI to be defined.

Stefano