[LAD] NSM - handling large files

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Mon Apr 2 18:29:57 UTC 2012

On 04/02/2012 05:11 PM, rosea.grammostola wrote:
> On 03/30/2012 12:27 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
>> re: the "central" media location - in rui's defense i'd like to point
>> out that it took cubase more than 10 years to move away from something
>> fairly close to his model.
>
> Ok, that will be 5 yrs for Rui then ;)
>
> Serious though. What does this mean for Qtractor and NSM in theory?
>
> Qtractor can't apply to the strict session saving rules of NSM atm and
> not in the near future? If so, is there a solution for this from the
> perspective of Qtractor and NSM?

it's just unlikely, not that it won't apply to the rules :)

for instance, qtractor doesn't apply to the jack-session and ladish
rules on 100% but it works on both as long as you don't EVER mix
qtractor sessions directories with SM's session directories. that is, it
is always possible to use qtractor's gui file menu save/save as... to
replace any SM session directory but not recommended though, ever.
depending on "unpredictable circumstances", one will sooner or later
break either or both session states (qtractor session and/or the SM's
one) when you try to load any later on

point is, in qtractor terms at least, saving a managed-session takes a
different and specific code path. read that like a managed-session save
operation is kind of a instant snapshot, which doesn't even change the
current qtractor session title, path or dirty flag at all, if any

nb. all this applies whether the "external files symlinking" are
implemented or not (will that be an option or shall be mandatory by SM
protocol design?); it's about session state integrity and not session
directory "centrality" or "portability"

in conclusion. qtractor may be always made to work as a NSM client.
that's orthogonal to the "session directory dilemma", which i think this
is what Paul's referring to

alas, all is just not *my* top priority atm. meanwhile, any patch would
be welcome, of course ;)

byee
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela