[LAD] JACK CV Ports API

Filipe Lopes falktx at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 23:24:23 UTC 2012

hey lads,
sharing an idea I had here

my (currently in development) host directly exposes plugin ports to jack -
audio as audio, midi as midi, and parameters as a midi port for midi-cc
usage.
while coding for lv2 plugins, I noticed the CV port type, more info here:
http://lv2plug.in/ns/ext/cv-port/

I didn't yet coded support for it, but I'll do soon. Those kind of ports
will be exposed to jack as pure audio ports.
Non-daw and non-mixer also use this kind of ports, and maybe others.
The problem is that users shouldn't connect normal audio and CV ports
together...

so I came up with an idea that is simple and fairly easy to implement - a
new jack port flag.

example:
port = jack_port_register(client, port_name, JACK_DEFAULT_AUDIO_TYPE,
JackPortIsInput|JackPortIsCV, 0);

patchbays can check for this flag and represent the port as a different
type (I've done it here myself as jack keeps any custom port flag values I
set, and works just fine).
in the jack library code we can check for the flag and not allow port
connections.

what do you think?