[LAD] NSM - handling large files

J. Liles malnourite at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 22:22:58 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 09:19:57AM -0700, J. Liles wrote:
>
> > Are you seriously saying that the equivalent of doing:
> >
> > if ( nsm_is_active )
> >       save_here( file );
> > else
> >       save_there( file );
> >
> > Would require a complete rewrite and overhaul of your application? Say
> you
> > don't want to do it... That's fine. Say you don't like the NSM
> > design--that's fine too. But don't just make up wild hyperbole out of
> > laziness...
>
> :-)
>
> A question: according to the docs, a client should consider itself
> 'managed' after receiving the reply to the 'announce' message. But
> at that time it has no path to save anything 'New' or 'Load'ed.
> If I understand the docs correctly, the 'open' message specifying
> this path will follow immediately. But still this is a possible race
> condition. So shouldn't a client consider itself managed only after
> having received the first 'open' message ?

Yes. Well, there's a bit of a fine distinction between being managed and
being part of the session. The application could conceivably receive a
'quit' message before the 'open' message, but that would never actually
happen in the current implementation and doesn't make a lot of sense
anyway. I think you're probably right in that for all practical purposes
'open' is the time to consider the application managed.