[LAD] NSM - handling large files

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Wed Apr 4 23:25:40 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-04-03 at 18:04 +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
[...]
> ardour gets all its stuff under one own session directory, on a per
> session/project basis, iirc just like NSM mandates,
>
> bbbuuuuuut...:) making that one and the same directory as from an
> outsider/independent session manager like NSM is asking for a lot of
> file and symlink juggling, if you ask me
>
> i'm not an expert in ardour internals, someone else could chime in and
> help me here.

I don't know what you are trying to say.  "One and the same directory as
from an outsider/independent session manager"?  Huh?

A directory of files is a directory of files.  The format Ardour would
save to inside of a session is precisely the same format it already
saves in, perhaps with some things being links.

I can guarantee you that much, because if it had to be different,
Ardour, like presumably most apps, simply would never implement it...

> > my feeling again is that the effort to comply with NSM isn't, won't be
> > so easy for any lass-than-simple-textbook-like client examples

Not really.  Qtractor is just a weirdo edge case.  You seem to be trying
to paint the "mandates" of NSM as deeply imposing requirements, but
they're not.  Quite the opposite, really, anything else would certainly
be *far* more imposing and complicated.  That's kind of the point.

It's not really worth it to care about this case from an SM perspective
since it's rare, easily fixable, inherently un-archivable, and there's
no palatable solution for dealing with apps like this anyway.  The
obvious one would be to have a special 'deep save', but then... if the
app implements that, it can just save that way when running in an SM
every time.  Therefore it's a non-issue (heh) for SM.

-dr