[LAD] NSM - handling large files

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Mon Apr 9 17:10:30 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 09:35:27AM -0700, J. Liles wrote:

> This is true. Liblo is not a hard dependency. Anything that can
> send/receive OSC messages should work. It definitely doesn't use wildcards
> and I haven't actually found a use for OSC wildcards yet period,

Same here... In all cases where I've wanted to say 'all' objects
of some sort (e.g. set all faders to 'off'), those objects are
indexed by integers anyway and not as part of the destination. So
all it takes is some 'escape' value such as -1.

> so I don't
> have a problem with officially avoiding them. Bundles are useful for some
> things (especially when delivering a list like response, because OSC has no
> more obvious way to indicate 'end of list'),

'[' and ']' in the format are used to start and end arrays, lists, etc..

> and aren't very complicated at the stream level

True, but note that the ability to receive bundles implies honouring
timestamps. A library that does accept bundles but ignores timestamps
would be considered buggy. It's this that turns what could otherwise
be something very simple and minimal into a more complex affair,
requiring a different API and in theory also unbounded storage.

I never understood why the OSC designers combined bundling and
timestamping, as either of them is useful without the other.

Ciao,

--
FA