[LAD] [ann] out now petri-foo 0.1.85 / NSM

rosea.grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 10:19:36 UTC 2012

On 08/01/2012 11:53 AM, James Morris wrote:
> On 01/08/12 "rosea.grammostola"<rosea.grammostola at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> Woohoo there is now a grand total of 5 apps supporting it:
>>> http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/categories/nsm
>>
>> I count 7, but yeah despite your sarcasm, that's good news indeed,
>> that's already more support then LASH had in it's first days.
>>
>> But the nice and essential thing about NSM is that it's support apps
>> without a state, and apps without NSM support via nsm-proxy.
>> Moreover NSM-proxy supports Ladish level 1 also.
>>

>>> LASH failed despite 26 apps supporting it:
>>> http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/all/lash
>>
>> The problem with LASH is that it has obvious (technical) flaws.
>> Session managers today are much better. Imo NSM has a great technical
>> design, with advantages compared to other session api's and without
>> (essential) technical flaws.
>>
>> If you think that all the apps apps.linuxaudio.org will support a
>> session api, then  you're not very realistic. That's why it's
>> essential that NSM support apps without NSM support and apps without a
>> state in a user friendly way.
>
> I guess. But for those who need to play around with stuff before they
> find what they can use to start being productive it's not good.

I don't see what you mean. You've a list of apps with NSM support. You
can use those in the NSM session. Other apps you can launch via
nsm-proxy. If you want to use Ladish l1, look at the list of apps with
ladish l1 support.

No session manager, that's a problem. Users play around with stuff and
never become productive. Standalone Jack applications are nice, but
without good session support modular linuxaudio is a joke to say it frankly.

> That many apps already have a form of session management is one of the
> problems for NSM. What should a developer do when attempting to support
> NSM in an application which already has Jack Session support and LASH
> support? It increases the complexity of what the user interface has to
> deal with.

First, it makes it far more easy to implement NSM. The time consuming
'search work' for adding session support is already done.

Second, I assume that it is possible to support more session api's in
one application.

> Maybe it's actually better - at least most people are aware now of the
> problems with the other session managers
> In Petri-Foo it wasn't so much of a problem. I simply removed support
> for LASH because there was no user base to tell me otherwise. But can I
> do that with other apps?
>
> I'm looking at jack-rack for instance.

See above.

Regards,