[LAD] Plugin 1/oct frequency controls (AMS/MCP/VCO)

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Wed Aug 22 21:12:51 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:43:27PM -0400, David Robillard wrote:

> Particularly for those who play along with real instruments, making sure
> we have sensible tunability is important.

In fact none of the classical VC synths had anything close to
absolute tuning, in the sense that you could accurately set
them to some frequency without using a frequency counter, or
comparing with another signal. They had to be tuned just like
you tune e.g. a string instrument. And most were notoriously
unstable as well.

> Fons can perhaps explain it in detail, but I believe there are good
> reasons why these plugins need to use logarithmic frequency inputs.  The
> attempts at faithful implementations of the Moog filters in particular.

It is not necessary in order to have the 'moog' sound - the typical
distortion, the way it detunes when overdriven, and the 'noisyness'
(which the plugins don't emulate).

You need the logarithmic control to emulate the 'look and feel',
of a complete analog modular synth, to allow the user to combine
modules in similar ways as could be done on the real thing.

Ciao,

--
FA