[LAD] Monophonic synths (was: Plugin 1/oct frequency controls)

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Fri Aug 24 08:31:31 UTC 2012

[Fons Adriaensen]
>Once synths became polyphonic they mostly turned from a instrument
>in its own right into something just used to imitate other instruments.
>
>I'm working on a SW modular synth that at least in its first version
>will be strictly monophonic, precisely to emphasize it's meant to be
>an instrument on it own, and not a cheap replacement for anything else.

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment; still, some might argue
that many ventures that sought to present a replacement for the human
voice have left us with a wonderful body of physical instruments
(though those of quality certainly rarely are cheap); and others might
-- not entirely unreasonably -- claim that trying to emulate the
characteristics of one group of instruments using different physical
means can yield valuable insights into the science of "what sounds
well", regardless of the outcome of the undertaking.

Cheers, Tim