[LAD] Wavetable synthesis : Creating fat wavetables

Julien Claassen julien at mail.upb.de
Fri Aug 24 19:39:16 UTC 2012

Hello Harry!
   It's an interesting topic, which I had been investigating. I do have a
wavetable based hardware synth, but I was thinking about emulating it in
software. Waldorf didn't say a lot about creating one's own wavetables. You
might just as well try csound - or one of its accompanying programs - to
create your wavetables. My synth works in such a way, that it has wavetables,
made up from 128 samples. So you should be able to load such a wavetable into
a sampler (is Specimin still state of the art?) and then use its envelope
generators and filters and whatever else. I suppose the modular synthesizers
like AMS, Om and co. might also do your bidding, if they allow to read samples
or oscillator shapes. Perhaps even better then a sampler, since they might
allow for modulating and otherwise mangling your wavetables. The question is,
how many samples per waveform/wavetable they might expect.
   If you are thinking about wavetables completely the Waldorf way, that would
include having a number of related waveforms stored in one table, so you can
morf between them. I don't have the slightest clue, how to be realise that.
There I would suggest PD or similar. I'm sorry,if that hasn't been much help.
   Warm regards
         Julien

050e010d0f12010401-0405-0d09-030f12011a0f0d-
Such Is Life: Very Intensely Adorable;

********   Find some music at   ********
http://juliencoder.de/nama/music.html